Our firm was invited by the EUIPO, European Union Intellectual Property Office, to participate as an expert in a client panel on the theme of intellectual property valuation. This 2-hour meeting brought together experts from the financial valuation of intellectual property rights.
Key takeaways from this discussion:
- Requesters of financial valuation services are mostly large companies, in cases of M&A, or in case of difficulties or to adapt to an attractive tax scheme.
- The demand from start-ups is rarer. It finds its origin in the intervention of a venture capitalist or with a view to creating a patent box
- The financial valuation of IP is a specific, little known profession, unfortunately often assigned to large auditing firms even though they are not specialists in the matter and do it poorly.
- Multidisciplinary team work with an IP specialist, an accountant, and a financial expert is the best suited model
- A quality service necessarily carried out by experts involves elevated costs.
- There is a lack of national/European certification to spotlight the professionals who follow the best practices in this matter.
As you can see, these conclusions are in line with the mission of Brandon Valorisation: developing expertise in the financial valuation of IP, supported by the skills of our partner Brandon IP, serving companies of all sizes and in particular SMEs.